Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Things I'm Obsessed With: Gratuitous Pop Culture References

There are few things I find as satisfying as watching a TV show or a movie reference something obscure and being in on the joke. Unsurprisingly, it's even more satisfying to to have a TV show or movie reference 50 things in rapid succession and still get it all. Being adept at this is one of the only two things you get out of having degrees in Film Studies, the other is being constantly asked if you want to make movies. It's important to note that this obsession doesn't extend to Family Guy, which makes more references than any other show ever and still blows. 

Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
A viral video classic from Lemon Demon, Ultimate Showdown features at least 60 famous people, real and imagined, from the 80s and 90s in an apocalyptic brawl. 

More examples after the jump! 



Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire (Illustrated)
I actually thought about making one of these until I found out it already existed. Thanks internet! 


Weezer - Pork and Beans
I'm a huge Weezer fan and the kind of geek who writes about viral videos several times a day so when this video came out, I was sure it was made just for me. If you'd like to see the references in this one deconstructed, there's a helpful video HERE.


South Park - The Evil of Imaginationland
This three part episode is an orgy of pop culture references, but I have to say the imaginary villains are my favorite. From Jason to the Cavity Creeps to the Satan Worshiping Woodland Critters. 



No comments: