Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pop Culture Tourettes: Clueless


As far as movie quoting goes, I’d say Clueless is for sure in my top five faves. I can usually find ways to sneak it into conversation to make everyone, or just me laugh. It’s a classic film, and should be on the AFI top 100.

“Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did.”
I really just say “that Polonius guy did.” Though most people understand that this is a Clueless reference, it baffles them nonetheless. This could be because it always comes from left field—I can’t imagine an occasion when it’s come up that I was discussing Hamlet.




“That's Ren and Stimpy. They're way existential.”
Obviously I use this quote whenever Ren and Stimpy come up, but many times I just say “they’re way existential” about whatever is being discussed. I always hope that someone will say, “do you have any idea what you’re talking about?” to which I will obviously respond, “No, do I sound like I do?” That has never happened unfortunately.

“Yeah. I can't find my Cranberries CD. I gotta go to the quad before anyone snags it.”
I say or think this whenever I hear a cranberries song. Also, I think this is the PERFECT facebook status.

“Vast improvement”
This phrase is actually part of my every day vernacular. It comes from the quote “not a total Betty, but a vast improvement.” I think the use is fairly obvious, but for consistency’s sake, I say it when something has been improved vastly.

The Rest After the Jump!

“Ohh Snickers”
This quote is used just like it is in the film, so if you haven’t seen it, A) you won’t understand why this is funny, and B) really? You haven’t seen Clueless? ANYWAY, If I, or someone else gets excited about something small that they see, and mentions it while talking about something else, then Annie or I will follow up that randomness with “ooh Snickers.” David says this sometimes too.


“I feel like such a heifer.”
This gets used when I feel like a heifer. Surprisingly, I haven’t memorized Cher’s list of food she ate that day, so I can’t use the whole quote when necessary.

“I broke in my purple clogs!”
If someone asks me what I did today, I jokingly say this. It’s also a great Facebook status. Have you ever wondered about these purple clogs though? I imagine they are pretty heinous.

“Let's do a lap before we commit to a location.”
Yeah, I actually say this at bars and parties. In all seriousness too.

“Wow, you guys talk like grown-ups!”
I say this when I have no idea what’s going on. I thought it quite often in the Flaherty discussions this year.

“That was way harsh, Tai.”
This comes up a lot—if someone is insulting me or someone else, even on television, be it a joke, or legit—if something said is below the belt “that was way harsh Tai” comes out.

“He's a disco-dancing, Oscar-Wilde-reading, Streisand ticket-holding friend of Dorothy... Ya know what I'm saying? He's gay.”
This is how I Describe David to everyone I know.


1 comment:

Gaby D. said...

Awesome! I know Cher had a handful of peanut m&ms. And, you won't believe, Glenn hasn't seen it. I really love the one where Cher's swevering all over the road and says, "you try driving in heels." Also, "should I write him a note?" One of the best movies ever!