Friday, September 26, 2008

Things I'm Obsessed With: Peter Cetera's Glory of Love

It's difficult for me to express in words the depth of my obsession with this song and video, an obsession which began two years ago when it came on VH1 randomly and Laura and I recorded it on TiVo and preceded to watch it over and over again. It's not a stretch to say that "Glory of Love" is our jam. 

The production values on this video are amazing, mixing clips from Karate Kid, Part II with footage of Cetera performing what has to be some of the whitest "choreography" ever put to film.  Seriously. Check out those jazz hands. I'm also mesmerized by his teeth, not sure what's going on there.

What began as an ironic obsession turned into genuine love for this song. So check it out, you won't be disappointed. 


Lyrics, trivia, and a Glory of Love cover after the jump. 




Glory of Love Fun Facts: 
It peaked at #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart on August 2, 1986, remaining in that spot for two weeks. It also spent five weeks atop the US adult contemporary chart.

Laura and I performed this at karaoke two weeks ago and while I claimed it was smoke making my eyes water, I might've really teared up from the undeniable power of the Cetera. 

It earned nominations in 1987 for an Academy Award for Best Song and a Golden Globe in the category of Best Original Song. 

In 1987, every kid in America wanted one of those drum things that you beat by rubbing your hands together.

It was also nominated for a Grammy Award in 1987 for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Male Artist.

It was originally written for the movie Rocky IV and the producers passed on it?!? You know that one keeps them awake at night. 


Soul Shattering Lyrics:
Tonight its very clear
As were both lying here
There's so many things I want to say
I will always love you
I would never leave you alone

Sometimes I just forget
Say things I might regret
It breaks my heart to see you crying
I dont wanna lose you
I could never make it alone


I am a man who will fight for your honor
Ill be the hero youre dreaming of
Well live forever
Knowing together that we
Did it all for the glory of love

You'll keep me standing tall
You'll help me through it all
Im always strong when youre beside me
I have always needed you
I could never make it alone

I am a man who will fight for your honor
I'll be the hero youve been dreaming of
We'll live forever
Knowing together that we
Did it all for the glory of love

Just
like a knight in shining armor
From a long time ago

Just in time I will save the day
Take you to my castle far awaaaay

I am a man who will fight for your honor
I'll be the hero youre dreaming of
We're gonna live forever
Knowing together that we
Did it all for the glory of love

We'll live forever
Knowing together that we
Did it all for the glory of love

We did it all for love
We did it all for love
We did it all for love
We did it all for love

New Found Glory - Glory of Love

Clearly artists will be covering this song for generations to come.




No comments: